Follow by Email

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Book Review: Cast on, Cast off

Book: Cast on, Bind Off
by: Leslie Ann Bestor
Published by: Storey Publishing

This book is about learning 54 different casting on and binding off stitches for knitting garments. This book does not have knitting patterns in it.  I really enjoy how she talks about her experiences with knitting in writing this book.

We begin with how to make a slip knot and an overhand knot, along with a few other beginner techniques.

I like how she makes each cast on/off technique it's own page with photos, characteristics, and what the cast on/off is good for using in. She then goes into instructions on how to do the cast on/off with more photos.

I love the photos, they are very clear, upclose and real...as in using real pieces of knitted material and not drawings.

Every once in a while there will be a "getting it right" box with a few extra tips and tricks about the particular cast on/off we are learning.

I do not like the columns on some of the pages. If in an actual book this would be okay, but on a computer you have to keep scrolling down and then back up again to read the text in the other column.

I would like to see an actual beginner knitting book with actual patterns in it from this author.

I received this book free from the publisher through the NetGalley.com program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. 

No comments: