Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Book Review: Knitting Knee-Highs

Knitting Knee-Highs by Barb Brown







I have always loved to learn new crafts. My grandmother taught me how to crochet when I was a youngster. I have picked up needlepoint, counted cross stitch, cro-hooking and more over the years. I have even tried to knit, including a sweater for my boyfriend (now husband of 27 years) and more recently a prayer shawl.

I saw this book and have to admit the thought of making some knitted socks seemed daunting but I am willing to give it a try.  I paged through the book first and fell in love with many of the pictured socks. Some of my favorites are the lacy and plainer socks, instead of the highly patterned socks.

I am a person who can follow a pattern, just don't ask me to create a pattern! I have read through this books introduction, getting started and tips and tricks pages.  I am still feeling daunted! Where are the photos to show us how to knit, pearl or do a stitch I have never heard of before? There is some general information in the back of the book, but I need some photos.

I think I will need to purchase a beginner's knitting book that has photos in it before I can start one of these patterns, especially one of the complicated patterned ones.

Here's hoping I can find the right book to learn how to knit, pearl and whatever, so I can get making some knee-highs!


Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

2 comments:

Hannah Jane said...

I found your review through booksneeze, and I have to say that I agree - this book is not for beginners.

However, there are many good beginning books out there! Good luck on your crafting!

Mrs. David Hankins said...

I also saw your review via Booksneeze. I agree that this is not a book for a beginner. I will have to pull out my knitting book to refresh on some steps before attempting any of these patterns. (I've got the basic knit and purl down, but need to refresh on other concepts. ;)

I used the book/kit "I Taught Myself Knitting" and think that its instructions and pictures would be satisfactory for you to reference before attempting these projects (if you're interested in a recommendation ;).

Happy knitting! :)

Warmly,
Elizabeth