Follow by Email

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Book Review: In Constant Prayer

 
In Constant Prayer by Robert Benson

In this book the author continually refers to the "daily office," but doesn't explain what this is until chapter three. A single office is a single hour of prayer, following the prayer structure of the early church, which is pretty complex.  In the old church this would happen seven times per day. In more current times this would happen morning, noon and night.  For most of us, we would be lucky to incorporate this into our busy lives morning and night.

The author does a good job with explaining things in the book in a down to earth manner. He has some good stories he tells, but I wasn't sure where he was going with them at times.

If you have never heard of the "daily office" before, read this book to learn more about it.

I am on a prayer journey of my own...I want to learn how to prayer properly, if there is such a thing. I enjoyed reading this book, but don't feel it will be incorporated into my prayer journey. I don't think I need to do the "daily office" to be able to talk to God.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

No comments: