Sunday, November 7, 2010

Book Review: A Year With God

A Year with God by R.P. Nettelhorst 





This book includes daily readings and reflections on God's Own words using the Old Testament.

I like how the author uses different versions of the Bible with the daily scripture readings. He then writes a few paragraphs helping us understand the text from the Bible.

I enjoy the readings very much and could see myself using this on a daily basis. I like how each day is a page, no confusion on how much to read. The Bible verses are at the top of the page and the reflections are at the bottom. Very easy to read and each page took me about 2 minutes to read. Sometimes I would go back and reread the passage or a paragraph. This book does get you thinking about your own life.

All the Bible verses used are from the Old Testament, but think about it, that is all the people had to learn from when the New Testament was written. And I hope the author will take it upon himself to write another book using the New Testament.

I would love to see the month and date at the top of each page instead of, or in addition to, the numbered day of the year. I sure don't know what number today is as I am sure most do not. It would also make the book easier to follow, because I do know today's date or can come close.

I really like the table of contents with sub-titles such as Hope and Fear, Love and Hate, Faith and Doubt and more. What I don't like is that the first 48 days we read about Hope and Fear only. Each section begins with Genesis and continues through the books of the Bible. Why not mix the categories up some? Why not begin with Genesis and go straight through the bible as it is written? What about giving us a daily Bible reading, if we choose to read it, something optional?

I have enjoyed reading this book and will continue to read it, hopefully daily, for years to come. I would recommend this for a friend or family member.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

I review for BookSneeze


No comments: